This Sunday — September 19th at 10:30am — Calvary will be on campus. 7 gatherings from 4 sites all meeting in one place at one time. Why are we doing it?
1) Because once in awhile it is good to be reminded that even through we (all) rarely see each other, we are family. We are all part of the same team, one church meeting in multiple locations. On Sunday, we are celebrating our unity.
2) Because each of our gatherings — from Traditions to Warriors Mark — has a common mission in Penn State University. Every gathering has multiple connections to Penn State, from current students to former students, from faculty to staff, from neighbors to co-workers, Penn State occupies the center of the region.
3) Because we believe that God has a redemptive purpose for Penn State University. Where else do we have the same opportunity to impact the world, to impact the next generation, to impact future scientists, artists, engineers, teachers, business people, mothers and fathers?
4) Closely related to #3 — God has given us an amazing opportunity, perhaps even a unique opportunity to make Jesus known to the next generation. College students make up at least a 1/3 of the Calvary family, but less than 3% of the PSU students are involved in a church. We want to go where they are and hopefully give them a taste of a church without walls.
5) Because being on campus — not just on Sunday, but throughout the 21 days of prayer — is allowing God to reveal to us, his heart for the people/students who are there. This is one of the common themes I hear from so many of those of you who are prayer-walking — God is doing something in our hearts.
6) Because I believe God wants to birth faith in our hearts for a move of God among students that will overflow the Eisenhower Auditorium.
7) And finally we are doing Calvary on Campus, because Eisenhower Auditorium is just a short walk from the Creamery! :)
I can’t tell you how much I am looking forward to it. If you haven’t had a chance to go on campus and pray, you still have Friday and Saturday. Don’t miss the opportunity to join what God is doing. If you haven’t invited a friend, you still have Friday and Saturday… who knows God might be doing something in that person’s heart and you will get to see someone discover God’s love…if you take a moment and invite them to join us.
See you Sunday…if not before.